However the season, there will be always something to do at Les Estables and on the massif of Mezenc Gerbier !
In winter, the proximity of the Les Estables resort provide you to try snow sports or to get away by snowshoes. A few steps away the bottom of the ski tracks, our hotel is perfect for your snow holidays. In an environment conducive to the outdoor activities, you will be able both in winter and summer to walk arround to discover the landscapes of the region and to oxygenate yourself. In summer, conquer the open spaces by foot, by bike or by paraglider !
Massif of Mezenc and Gerbier de Jonc
In the south-east of the Massif Central and the Auvergne, the Mézenc massif straddles 2 French départements : Ardeche and Haute-Loire. The scenery is quite different from one side to the other. On one side, high plains dotted with “sucs” (rounded peaks) and crossed by the upper reaches of the river Loire; on the other, deep valleys formed by the affluents of the river Rhône. Not far away, at the foot of the Gerbier de Jonc, is located the source of the river Loire.
Village and Les Estables resort
Originally the village was just a cluster of farms on the mountain, where farmers would go every spring with their herd. Then the village became a permanent settlement despite the altitude of 4,000 ft and the rigorous winter climate. The original huts were then replaced with large stone farms with stone roofs. Today the village has developed due to tourism and the winter resort whilst keeping its authentic character.
- Downhill skiing and snowboarding : small family resort, ideal for beginners and children, with 4 green tracks, 3 blue tracks, 1 red track, 1 black track. A beginners’ area (“front de neige”) with snow cannons, rope tow and platter lift.
- Cross-country skiing : 52 km of groomed ski trails (1 green, 2 bleue, 4 red, 1 black).
- Secure area for snowshoeing : 4 marked trails.
Areas for snowkiting, dog sledding, sledge.
- Hiking : several marked trails starting from Les Estables or its vicinity to discover the many natural sites of the Massif : Sources and gorges of the river Loire, Cirque of Les Boutieres, Chaudeyrolles Narces, Ray-Pic waterfall, Saint-Front Lake, Lac Bleu lauziere…
- Horseback and donkey back riding, Mountain bike, cycling (many small quiet roads, high plains, hills…), rock-climbing (numerous areas in the proximity), paragliding (school of paragliding), orienteering (permanent courses on Mezenc and on Lizieux), swimming (Issarlès lake, Saint-Martial lake, Gorges of Loire river…), fishing (many rivers : Gazeille, Gagne, Aubepin, Lignon, Loire, Eysse, Eyrieux…), canoeing and kayaking on the Loire river (bases of Aurec-sur-Loire, Retournac, Bas-en-Basset…) and on the Allier river (bases of Langeac, Monistrol d’Allier…).
Museums to visit close to Les Estables : Perrel Brothers Farm (cottage with thatched roof and eco-museum in Moudeyres), Bourlatier farm, eco-museum of Bigorre, house of Fin-Gras du Mezenc(beef with AOC certification), Wind school of Saint-Clement, museum of Popular Beliefs in Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille… school museum in Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille…
Historical sites : the town of Le Puy-en-Velay and its cathedral, a World Heritage Site, abbey of Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille (start of the Stevenson Trail), ruins of the Bonnefoy Carthusian Monastery, Polignac castle, Arlempdes castle…